This may just be the very best bridal shower gift we ever received- Jennifer's bolognese recipe!
1/4 cup olive oil
2-4 celery stalks
1 red or green bell pepper
salt and pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
Ground beef, veal, and pork (1/2 lb. each)
2 cups red wine
San Marzano crushed tomatoes (1 28 oz. can)
1. Finely dice all veggies.
2. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion, carrots, celery, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Cook the vegetables until they brown, stirring every 5 minutes or so to prevent burning. Don't rush this part- browning the vegetables develops serious flavor!
3. Add minced garlic for 30-60 seconds.
4. Add meat, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper and brown the meat.
5. Add wine and reduce by three-fourths.
6. Add crushed tomatoes and simmer covered for at least 1 hour, but the longer the better!
7. Before serving or storing, use a shallow spoon to skim the top of the sauce to remove excess fat rendered from the meat.
*The sauce always tastes better the next day!
**Definitely make big batches- it freezes well. BUT be sure you double everything, not just the tomatoes otherwise it will be too watery.