1 large eggplant
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 (28 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 cup (8 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (8 oz) package of precooked lasagna noodles
1 medium zucchini (1/4 inch slices)
1 medium summer squash (1/4 inch slices)
2 1/2 cups shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle evenly with 1/2 tsp. salt; let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Combine basil, ricotta, and remaining 1/2 tsp. black pepper in a small bowl.
5. Spread 1/2 cup tomato mixture into the bottom of a 13 x 9- inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Arrange 4 noodles over tomato mixture. Top with half of eggplant, zucchini and summer squash. Then spread half of ricotta mixture on veggies (do a plop then press method). Then start again with another layer of noodles. Then 1/2 of the remaining sauce. Then the rest of the veggies. Then the rest of ricotta mixture. Then finish with a final layer of noodles and sauce. Top it all with shredded mozzarella.
6. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until browned.
7. Cool for 5 minutes then enjoy!
*Adapted from Ellie Krieger