This is the perfect soup for a sick day!
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch dice
1 tbsp. Emeril's Original Essence or Creole Seasoning
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups diced onions (small dice)
1 1/2 cups diced carrots (small dice)
1 1/2 cups diced celery (small dice)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 (5-oz) bag pre-washed spinach
1. Place the chicken in a medium bowl, season with the Essence, and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a 6-quart (or larger) soup pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, basil, salt, and crushed red pepper, and continue to cook for 1 minute.
4. Add the chicken and cook for 3 minutes. Add the broth and the rice, cover the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove the cover, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the rice is just tender, about 12 minutes.
5. Stir in the spinach, and serve immediately.
*Adapted from Emeril