8 (1/2 inch-thick) eggplant slices
2 tsp. olive oil
1 large red bell pepper
4 slices ciabatta bread
2 tbsp. pesto
1 cup baby arugula
1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup goat cheese
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange eggplant slices in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Brush both sides of eggplant with 1 tsp. olive oil. Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membrane. Arrange bell pepper halves, skin sides up, on baking sheet with eggplant; flatten with hand.
2. Broil 4 minutes; turn eggplant over (do not turn bell pepper over). Broil an additional 4 minutes; remove eggplant from pan. Broil pepper an additional 7 minutes or until blackened.
3. Place bell pepper in a plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 15 minutes; peel and discard skin.
4. Broil bread slices for 2 minutes or until lightly browned, turning once.
5. Spread 1 tbsp. pesto on each of 2 bread slices. Layer each bread slice, pesto side up, with 2 eggplant slices, 1 bell pepper, and 2 eggplant slices.
6. Toss arugula with remaining 1 tsp. oil and black pepper; divide arugula mixture evenly between sandwiches. Spread 2 tbsp. goat cheese over each of 2 remaining bread slices; place cheese side down, on sandwiches.
*Adapted from Cooking Light