Tuesday, April 15, 2014
irish boiled dinner
4 pounds corned beef brisket (flat cut)
8 whole cloves
1 bay leaf
1 medium sized turnip, peeled and cut into 3-inch chunks
4 red new potatoes, peeled and halved
4 large carrots, cut into thirds
1 small head cabbage, cut into fourths
1. Rinse the beef brisket under cold water, and place in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the roast by 6 inches. Add peppercorns, cloves, and a bay leaf to the pot. Bring to a boil, and cook for about 30 minutes at a rolling boil.
2. Reduce heat to medium-low so that the water is at a gentle boil, cover, and cook for 3 1/2 hours.
3. Remove the meat and set aside, keeping the meat warm.
4. Add the vegetables to the pot. Raise the temperature and bring the soup to a high simmer. Cook at a high simmer until done, about 15-30 minutes longer, depending on the size of your vegetables.
5. Using a slotted spoon remove the vegetables and place on serving dish.
6. Slice the meat against the grain and add to serving dish.